Upcoming Girls Soccer Tryouts

Girls varsity soccer field photographed in the 2016 season.

According to senior varsity soccer player Libby Kredell, soccer tryouts for the 2017 girls soccer tryouts begin Monday, March 20th, and end Thursday, March 23rd. Tryouts are at the soccer fields behind north campus from 3-5p.m.

Girls in grades 9-12 can try out for the teams. Teams consist of the freshman team, junior varsity, and varsity.

According to sophomore soccer player Molly Leyden, only freshmen are able to be on the freshman team, but all ages are eligible to tryout for junior varsity and varsity.

“Although soccer is no cut, it is still very competitive. The team that is probably the most competitive is varsity because everyone wants to get playing time. junior varsity isn’t as competitive because most sophomores and juniors automatically make that team along with some freshmen, but everyone’s main goal is to be on varsity,” says Leyden.

Students can prepare for the upcoming season by attending training sessions held at the Strike FC indoor soccer facility from 3-5 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays or participating in the futsal league. Futsal is a modified version of soccer with fewer players typically played on an indoor field. There are three Arrowhead futsal teams organized in the preseason that are led by senior Maddie Wood, sophomore Cassidy Rothwell, and junior Teagan Richman.

“I am playing in the high school futsal league and I go to a separate foot skill training when I have time or work on my foot skills at home,” says sophomore soccer player Bailey Deininger.

Deininger was on the Varsity soccer team as a freshman and says she enjoys tryouts because she gets to play with all of her teammates again. Deininger says she enjoys Arrowhead soccer because everyone is kind and everyone loves to play soccer, so you never find yourself getting bored with the team.

According to Leyden and sophomore soccer player Lily Gallagher, if you aren’t interested in futsal, you can train for soccer in a variety of other ways. Leyden says she enjoys running and practicing her juggling skills. Deininger and Leyden say there are also separate training sessions offered if you play on a club team such as Strike FC or Waukesha.

Leyden was co-captain of the freshman soccer team last year and looks forward to playing again this year.

“I am really focusing on my running and ball skills so that it will be a good experience. It is always hard playing with people who don’t give 100 percent so I try to do my best to make myself and the team better,” says Leyden.