The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Preview of Boys Varsity Baseball

The Arrowhead High School Boys Baseball program begins its season this spring when athletes will tryout over the span of three days from Monday, March 18th to Wednesday, March 20th. 

All athletes must have completed their online concussion form, WIAA form, and parent permission form, as well as having a current physical green card on file in the North Campus Activities Office in order to participate. 

Equipment needed for tryouts includes outdoor baseball cleats and indoor tennis shoes, a baseball glove, and water bottle. 

According to Arrowhead High School, the program consists of four teams: Varsity, Junior Varsity and the Freshman Blue and Red teams. Tryouts are in late March and the season concludes with the WIAA state tournament in the middle of June. 

The Varsity Head Coach is Arrowhead math teacher Nick Brengosz assisted by Christopher Pier and Arrowhead special education teacher Dave Bechtel. 

Junior Varsity is coached by Blake Rathkamp. The Freshman teams are coached by Chris Skaros and Nick Hauser. 

Freshman and Junior Varsity teams practice and play home games at the Junior Varsity baseball diamond. Varsity games are played at O’Driscoll Field. 

Arrowhead Boys Baseball spirit wear is available for purchase until Tuesday, March 12. Items include t-shirts, long sleeves, sweatshirts, crewnecks, quarter zips, shorts, sweatpants, hats, and backpacks. 

Last year, the Warhawks competed in the WIAA Boys Baseball Tournament ranked #2 in their sectional and reached the Regional game after beating Brookfield Central 4-3. In Regionals, Arrowhead lost to Oconomowoc 6-5.

Varsity’s first game is Monday, April 1st at home at 4:00 p.m against Lake Country Lutheran. 

Varsity will celebrate Senior Night and Parent Night on Tuesday, May 14th during a home game against Waukesha South at 4:30 p.m. 

Senior Matthew Ortin says, “I’m looking forward to playing with my teammates and finally getting to play again.”

Ortin is committed to the University of Northwestern-St Paul to play Division Three baseball in the fall. 

During the season, the Varsity team will also travel to Eau Claire to compete in a weekend overnight tournament at Carson Park.