AHS students’ art displayed in Chicago Museum

In the spring semester of 2023, Arrowhead students involved in Advanced 2D and AP Studio Art made artwork to accompany sijo poem winners of the Sejong Writing Competition. Sijo is a Korean form of poetry studied in Arrowhead High School’s creative writing classes.

“I did my work through AP art, but I know every class such as painting studio, advanced 2D, and drawing an illustration all had the same opportunity to enter in the contest if Mrs. Moesler thought they were suitable candidates,” says senior Brittain Wittig.

Sherry Moesler is the Performance Department Program Leader (Dept. Chairperson) and Art Teacher at Arrowhead High school. 

According to www.poetryfoundation.org, sijo poetry is a Korean verse form related to haiku and tanka and composed of three lines of 14-16 syllables each, for a total of 44-46 syllables. Each line contains a pause in the middle, similar to a caesura, though the break need not be metrical. 

During April 2024, to correlate with Poetry Month, the artwork and sijo poems were displayed at the Harold Washington Library in Chicago. The Library is located at  400 S State St, Chicago, IL 60605. Hours vary depending on the day.

My artwork is a depiction of dementia. The branching from the aging person’s scalp represents memories disappearing,” says senior Lucas Kempen.

At the Library, there were twelve available slots for display, and eleven pieces of students’ work will be displayed during the initial two weeks. 

“I entered a competition through my AP art class under the advice of my art teacher,” says Wittig.

Additionally, a multimedia presentation is being arranged that will display a slideshow

on a large monitor facing the street, allowing passersby to appreciate the artwork.