Students View the Solar Eclipse at School

On April 8th, 2024, select Arrowhead students got to experience a once-in-a-lifetime experience by watching the Total Solar Eclipse. The maximum totality that Southeastern Wisconsin experienced was 89% according to science teacher Brian Corry.

The eclipse occurred at maximum totality at 2:07 PM CT. Students from Mr. Corry’s classes and Creative Writing and Journalism students (from teacher Elizabeth Jorgensen’s classes) got to spend time outside looking at the eclipse through solar safe, special glasses. Corry provided the glasses for every student who wanted to see the eclipse.

Junior Theo Jochman said, “I have only seen a total eclipse when I was a baby, so this is so cool for me to be able to see it. I love anything involving the sun and so this experience was out of body for me.” 

The eclipse is something that will happen again in America on May 11th, 2078. The path of totality will stretch from Houston, Texas to Virginia Beach, Washington. 

Jorgensen said, “I am excited that Mr. Kurth let us go outside and that Mr. Corry provided us with the glasses to experience it.” 

The solar eclipse began in Mexico around 11:07 AM PDT before ending over Maine around 3:35 PM EDT. 

Freshman Asa Martin, who drove to Ohio for the eclipse said, “I went to Ohio to be in the path of totality and it was the best experience of my life. I loved every minute of it and the darkness felt like it was nighttime.” 

The last total solar eclipse was in 2021 but was only visible from Antarctica. The period of totality lasted just one minute and 54 seconds. The last total solar eclipse visible from North America was in 2017.