Learn About Student Senate!

Student Senate is a club, also known as the student government, at Arrowhead High School. The club involves organizing and creating events. The events Student Senate are in charge of include homecoming activities: the parade, pep rally, movie night, the dance They also do the food drive, the two blood drives, santas workshop for kids in the community, and more.

Student Senate provides students with the opportunity to exercise leadership skills, share ideas, and to allow friends to work with each other. In order to sign up, students must fill out a sheet getting 30 student signatures and five teacher signatures saying the student should apart of the club, due by the third week of school by 2:36 on that friday.  Student Senate meets once a week every thursday in Junior study hall.

Student Senate has ten positions, known as the Executive Board, the main being, President, Vice President, and Treasurer. Each spot has their own duties and responsibilities to maintain for this club.

Jack Siepmann, Student Senate President, said, “I have become the President of Student Senate this year. I am now incharge of the Blood Drive and Food Drive.” The president is able to take the bigger roles into taking care of events.

Siepmann holds the highest position on the Executive Board and takes charge of events of his choice.

In order to hold a position in Student Senate, students hold a campaign and give a speech to the school. In every study hall hour, for two days, the videos of the students, that are running, will play to persuade the other students into voting for them for a spot on the Executive Board.

Kent Atwell, a former Vice President, Sophomore Rep and Junior Rep, said, “I was really nervous for everyone to see my speech while I was running, but I was confident that I would be able to pull it off. I was only doubting myself because I was up against so many other awesome candidates.” Atwell was up against at least three other candidates each year.

The students of Arrowhead vote for who they thought was the best for each position.

Tamara Varsos, teacher advisor, said “The intention is that the kids are doing as much as possible, as a teacher I have to do things that the kids can’t take care of, but the executive board is doing all of the other stuff and then delegating it for the regular members to help them.” Student Senate is student driven to allow the students to take leadership opportunities, and be to plan things for their school.

Siepmann said, “Without Student Senate I wouldn’t have understood how to plan huge events, and I didn’t realize how much work actually went into planning and making it happen. It is a whole other thing being a President rather than just being a student member.”
When you hold a position in Student Senate much more power and responsibility is required. Brooke O’Connor, a member of Student Senate, said, “Being a regular member, we need to attend the meetings in the Junior study hall, and we do what we are told in order to help with setting up the events.”

O’Connor said, “What I love the most about student senate is how involved we get with the school and the students. I love decorating for the dances and then seeing how much everyone loves the work we do. It’s super rewarding.”

Student Senate allows students to take over, and see how they do towards the end. Approximately 100 kids have joined Student Senate, to take action as well.