Girl Up Celebrates International Women’s Day and Women’s History Month

Arrowhead’s Girl Up is a club sponsored by the United Nations working to fight gender discrimination and organizing awareness in the community to make sure that girls at Arrowhead Union High School—and around the world—are positioned to be the next generation of leaders. 

In the month of March, Girl Up is celebrating International Women’s Day and Women’s History Month. Arrowhead English teacher and Girl Up advisor Jennifer Passler says she is going to hold a variety of events this month to review and discuss ways gender equity can be promoted and supported. 

According to Internationalwomensday.com, International Women’s Day is a global day on March 8th, “celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity. Recognized by the United Nations, the movement is centered around unity and strength.”

March is Women’s history month, according to the National Women’s History Museum; it’s the month set aside to honor women’s contributions in American society. This celebration began in 1980 when former president Jimmy Carter designated a week of celebration from March second to the eighth. 

In 1987, Congress passed a public law designating March as Women’s History Month. From then on, the National Women’s History Alliance picks yearly themes that relate to how Women overcame challenges in history. 

Throughout the month of March, Girl up will be hosting a few events to celebrate Women’s History Month.

The first event they will be holding is a “Mondays in March” video series event.

Passler says, “I know that the media is incredibly powerful in shaping our views, but do we know how powerful? How many aspects of society are so normal that we may not even know how much they affect us? Each Monday in March we will look at how the media affects our perception of gender.” 

Passler would like to encourage AHS students to come and participate in the events on March 11th, and 18th

Another event Girl Up is hosting is on March 14th creating a space to write thank you notes. 

Passler says, “Who has inspired you to reach for a more inclusive world? Never underestimate the power of saying thank you. We will use this time to briefly learn about writing a sincere thank you and then actually writing a thank you note to someone who supports—whether consciously or simply naturally—the goals of inclusivity and equity. Let’s celebrate together. Notecards and envelopes will be provided.”

Passler says she would like to thank and encourage anyone who is interested in taking a part in such a wonderful month.