New Season Inspires Students to Join a New Sport

Fall sports are ending and, for some students, it’s time to begin a new sport.  For

AHS sophomore, Katie Mottl, it is gymnastics.

“I just wanted to try something new this year,” Mottl says. “I have always wanted to try gymnastics when I was younger.”

Tryouts for gymnastics were on Monday, November 11th.  The season goes from November to February.  There are two gymnastics teams in all, including both varsity and JV.  The practices are from 5 to 7 pm everyday at North campus in the West gym.

“I think it is a fun sport, but I think I should have more experience if I want to do it next year,” Mottl says. “If you have experience in this sport, I would definitely recommend it to you.”

“Gymnastics is more of an independent sport, which may be hard to get used to for athletes who have previously participated in team sport,” says Mottl.

Mottl did gymnastics when she was in fourth grade but quit because she was uninterested.  She recommends staying with gymnastics and she says with hard work, you can really excel in it.

Mottl has done field hockey and track in the past and says gymnastics is a lot of hard work, but that it keeps her fit and in shape.

The events used in high school gymnastics are the vault, uneven bars, balance beam, and floor exercise.  Athletes are expected to practice five days a week, and compete in all scheduled meets. All students who tryout will make the team, but some may not compete in all scheduled meets.

Head coach of the Arrowhead team is Bob Pulkowski and the assistant coach is Alisha Wakefield.  The goal of the Girls Gymnastics Program to give all athletes a positive experience that will help them grow as both a student athlete and as an individual, says the coach of the varsity gymnastics team.