Snow Season Brings Ski Club to AHS

With snow season right around the corner, Arrowhead High School students are suiting up for the ski hill.  Arrowhead High School’ s Ski Club has many students sign up each year for trips to local and non-local ski hills.

Last season ski club took four trips to local ski hills for a night and one trip to Michigan for the weekend.  In Wisconsin, there are 36 different ski hills, spanning across the state.  In Wisconsin, there are also over 700 miles of cross country ski trails across the state.

Out of a survey of 20, 14 students ski or snowboard.  Nine of the 14 students said they have been skiing or snowboarding for over four years.  Eight of the 14 students snowboard and six ski.

Arlo Ennis, a senior who snowboards, says, “I have snowboarded for four years, and I am really excited for snow because I get to go off of big jumps, and I like big jumps.”

Ennis says his favorite hill is Cascade because he used to work there and that it is close and not too expensive.

Grant Straka, a senior who cross country skis, says, “I have cross country skied for ten years now, and it is really hard work, but it is really fun at the same time.”

Straka is looking forward to being able to ski again once the snow comes, and that his trail of choice is Lapham Peak.

John Widish, a senior who snowboards, says, “I have snowboarded now for four years, and I really like it.  I am looking forward to the snow so that I can finally snowboard, and go on the Michigan Trip with Ski Club.”

Widish snowboards at Little Switzerland because it is close and inexpensive versus other ski hills in the area.

Samantha Dean, a senior who skis, says, “I don’t remember when I started skiing, but it’s been a long time.  It is so much fun!  I am really excited to hang out with my friends and be able to ski a lot after it snows.”

Dean skis at Olympia, in Oconomowoc, but now since the hill is closed, she will go to Little Switzerland.

Nate Sarinske, a senior who skis and snowboards, says, “I stopped snowboarding because I broke my arm.  I have skied and snowboarded for almost all of my life, but now I just ski.  I am looking forward to skiing with my friends and for winter break.”

Sarinske goes to Little Switzerland with his friends.