Author Liza Wiemer Comes to AHS

AHS Composition teacher, Terri Carnell, contacted author Liza Wiemer to present to her classes. 

Carnell and Wiemer met about ten years ago when she came to Arrowhead for a book presentation on her first YA book, Hello?

On the AHS Facebook page, it was posted that Weimer presented to Advanced Composition classes on Thursday, April 28, about creating characters, developing plots, and infusing stylistic devices into short stories. Carnell’s students are submitting to the Wisconsin Writers Association Student Story Contest.

Carnell decided to bring Weimer in because the Advanced Composition classes are reading her novel The Assignment in class, as a way to select topics and see one author’s style, story, and structure.

Wiemer is an award-winning educator with over twenty years of teaching experience. 

Wiemer attended UW-Madison for college.

Wiemer has earned various honors, also being nominated for a 2021 Sydney Taylor Notable Book. 

Hello?, her first YA novel, was named a Goodreads Best Young Adult Novel of the Month.

Wiemer’s work has been translated into Russian, Polish, Italian, and Korean.

She has articles published in numerous newspapers and magazines and also writes a monthly column for the Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle. For this, Weimer achieved the honor of being named one of “The Top 100 People Positively Influencing Jewish Life, 2021.”

Carnell said, “We are lucky to have this opportunity to speak with an author and gain her perspective.”

Since 2005, Weimer has done well over 500 interviews and workshops and has spoken for KERA’s Think (NPR-Dallas), WTMJ’s The Morning Blend, SCBWI, School Library Journal, Write On Door County, NaNoWriMo, 92nd Street Y, Tucson Festival of Books, Miami Book Fair International, Hadassah, NCJW,  ADL, National Network for Educational Renewal, Northern Illinois University, Michigan State University, JCCs, Federations, synagogues, Holocaust centers across the country, at schools such as Sturgeon Bay High School, Arrowhead High School, Washington Island School District, and numerous other schools across the country.