Arrowheads Implements New Tutoring System Called SASS

Arrowhead began a new tutoring system this year. SASS takes place Tuesday and Thursday from 6:45 AM – 7:15 AM and 2:30 PM – 3:00 PM;  Tuesday and Thursday during various periods throughout the day; and on Wednesdays from 2:10 PM – 3:00 PM.

SASS stands for Students Assisting Student Success. This tutoring program is to help in math. Any student can join. To participate, bring your notes, your past quizzes, or your homework to the tutoring system located in the South library.

This tutoring system was formed in a joint effort between the math department, the Arrowhead Counseling Staff and Arrowhead’s National Honor Society.

According to the SASS promotional flyer, posted on the AHS webpage, students need to “Be Appropriate, Respectful and Responsible when working with the tutors or waiting to be

tutored.”
SASS stands for Students Assisting Student Success. This tutoring program is to help in math. Any student can join this if you bring your notes, your past quizzes, or your homework to the tutoring system located in the south library. .

The SASS tutors work with six students at a time. According to the flyer, “Don’t forget, you have to be appropriate, respectful, and responsible when working with the tutors.”
“I love being a SASS tutor because I like tutoring my own friends that come in for help and I work with my friends that are tutors,” said sophomore Maddie Sorenson.

SASS tutors focus on answering homework questions and helping with test and quizzes..
“I’m pretty sure teachers thought of it as a way for students to get help when teachers aren’t available. Also, because sometimes the SASS tutors give different descriptions of things that make it easier for other kids to understand,” said Sorenson.
But not everyone is thrilled with the program. “I think the SASS program is helpful but not enough help to actually approve your math. Also, the tutors don’t always remember what you’re learning, so it takes awhile for them to look through the actual notes and sometimes they don’t even know what they are explaining,” said sophomore Lane Kohl.