How High Schools Changed Since The Eighties

High schools in the 2000s have changed from in the 1980s.Currently, teachers and students are expected to teach and learn differently both in and outside of the classroom. The Technology, learning environment, expectations of students, college preparation has all changed since the 1980s.

Currently, technology is frequently used in high schools. Students uses laptops, tablets, smartboards, and smart phone to complete their daily work. This is a complete 180 from how classrooms were only 30 years ago.

Tara Novak, a high school graduate in the 1980s, says work in the classroom “involved a lot of notetaking from teachers giving lectures and writing on the blackboard and overhead.”

The classes offered in high school is another thing that has been changed over the years. Tara says, “there were no AP classes offered at  high school.”

The highest classes offered were, “Chemistry, Advanced Algebra, and typing one to know the basics of typing. You guys seem to learn (typing) in fifth grade now.”

Advanced Placement classes, also known as AP classes, are offered at Arrowhead. These classes give students college credit and the ability to stand out from students at other schools.

Tara says, “they didn’t have specialty classes like you do now. Students now have way more opportunities than we did when I was in high school.”

Tara says,“What you are taking now is what I took my first year of college.”

Although Tara did add that what is missing from today’s curriculum is “mandatory home economics classes. Kids need those skills in everyday life. I still refer to things I learned in home economics class to this day.”

A main topic in high school is how high school students will get ready for college. There are college representatives coming to visit the school to encourage students to apple.

John Novak, a High School Graduate in the 1980s says, “They didn’t talk about college much at all. It wasn’t their priority to prepare you for college classes.”

today parents, teachers, and colleges have high expectations from high school students, Katarina Theo, A junior at Arrowhead High School, says, My parents do put pressure on me to get into a good college.”

Emily Driscoll from the Fox news article “what colleges want to see on your application” says, “Getting accepted into college is becoming increasingly more competitive as more students seek to continue their education.”

Tara says, “The pressure to get into a good college wasn’t close to what it is now.”

Students are now involved in many different activities to stand out from the rest of the college competition.

Kiley Beth, a junior at Arrowhead High School, says, “I volunteer and I am in sports so I can put more on my college application.”

Tara says, “Back when I was in high school, colleges didn’t look at your extra curriculars like, clubs, volunteering and sports. Back then, if you applied, you most likely got in. It feels like the pressure today is really just unreal.”