Some Students’ Favorite Part of the Yearbook: Senior Superlatives

Each year the AHS yearbook class puts together a yearbook for the school. There are different sections of the yearbook, for sports, key club, best buddies and the list goes on. Also in the yearbook is a section dedicated to senior superlatives. Senior superlatives are voted on by the senior class. Each senior selects a person (a girl and a boy) that fits each category best. The winner is each category wins that senior superlative.

A mass email was sent out with topics asking students to vote. Students voted for who fits that category best. Examples included best buds, best eyes, and best laugh. There are two round of voting. Seniors had four days to vote.

The first round voting was for write in votes. For second round voting, the yearbook class put the top three people for each category to choose from.

AHS senior Julia Wesley is in charge of this year’s senior superlatives.

“I think superlatives are a good way to showcase a big amount of students in the class of 2018,” Wesley said.

She said if she could go back she would change a few things.

“I would definitely switch a couple of the categories out because I know not everyone was happy about them. I know there originally wasn’t a best dressed. So I would take my time to think about what categories everyone enjoys. This year, the categories were best buds, most likely to become famous, best eyes, best smile, most likely to win the Hunger Games, person you would take home to your parents, dare to be different and best dressed,” she said.

Wesley said when determining the categories, there is a lot that goes into is.

Wesley said, “I went into old yearbooks and I looked around to see what people have chosen in the past. It was difficult because I didn’t want to leave anything out, but at the same time, I couldn’t pick everything. I also then went online and looked to see what other people put in their yearbooks.”

She said there was a category she wishes she added. “I wish I would have added class clown. Not that many people noticed it, but there definitely was a few people that came up to me,” she said.

“Lastly, sometimes I think the superlatives are unfair because the more known people usually get picked and some students get upset about it,” Wesley said.

AHS senior Aly Ells says, “My favorite category is life of the party, because I like to see what seniors like to have fun. I think it is really cool to see who stands out in our class. And which classmates like to have a good time and be friends with everyone,” Ell’s said.

Ells said there are a few things she wishes they would take away.

“I don’t particularly like the best dressed. I feel like it is an unnecessary category and everyone has their own style. I feel as though it shouldn’t be judged. People take it as a big competition and that seems to cause problems. I feel like money also goes into it. Families with a lot of money have better dressed children,” she said.

Ells wishes there would be more categories.

She said, “I wish they would have an addition to best buds. So it would be like soul sisters. Someone who spends a lot of time together and has known each other for a while. Like it would be a pair of girls and a pair of guys. I feel like that is more fun for everyone.”

“I overall wish there would be more categories to give more people a chance to win, but I really do love the options this year and it is a fun way to end the yearbook and senior year,” said Ells.