New Hall Passes And The End Of The Hallway Floaters

No this isn’t about Modest Mouse’s hit single Float On, it’s about the hallway wonderers or the “Floaters.”

Floaters are people that walk around in the hallways instead of being in class. They tend to be disruptive to classes which has caused associate principal, Pete Nejedlo to hand out detentions for those in the hallway without a hall pass.

Dambeck says, “I understand the purpose of it and yah I think it’s great that they’re limiting the noise outside of classrooms. But it’s kind of really ridiculous that they’re giving a detention for not having a hall pass.

Brian Corry a teacher said, “I think the long term success of the program is determined by the length of the program.” Corry says for the new rule to be permanently successful, Nejedlo must be strict and not lenient.

“If the most important thing to me is to teach a class without being disturbed or sidetracked for putting out fires in the hallway, then the purpose is successful,” said Corry.

Senior John Widish says, “It gets really annoying losing your focus because someone yells into a classroom or is singing in the hallway or even walking with high heels on making loud noises with each step.”

The school has given the privilege to the teachers to choose what they want to be their classroom hall pass. “I think the hall passes are a positive way for some teachers to be able to express themselves, but there are some odd ones,” said Corry.

The auto’s class has to use a car door, Joe Paul, the auto’s teacher has his students use a map, and math teacher Steve Schmid has his students use a plate. Are these odd, or is he the odd one?

“I’m just concerned about the possible factor of people not washing their hands and build ups of feces will be on the hall passes,” said Dambeck.

Corry says, “A majority of students would eat Skittles off of the ground, and I don’t think anyone should be worrying about the hall pass having germs on them.”

Widish said, “I just don’t like how you have to sign out to use the restroom. If I need to go I want to go and not have to deal with some ridiculous paperwork to use the restroom. I just don’t feel like the school doesn’t trust us and thinks we have a lack of maturity, that’s what really bothers me about this.”

“A majority of my students are mature enough to know when it’s an appropriate time to use the restroom. So signing out to use the restroom hasn’t been a problem because of the maturity,” said math teacher Mr. Urban.

“It’s too early to tell if the past floaters will start making their famous shouting appearances to classrooms again. But as long as Mr. Nejedlo continues to be strict about the floaters it should either prolong the appearances or even put a stop to them,” said Widish.