After Rain, Flooding Occurs at South Campus

South campus flooding.

South campus flooding.

From Monday, February 19 through Tuesday, February 20th, there was a major flood at Arrowhead High School’s South Campus. The flooding was the worst in front of the football stadium and by the teacher parking lot.

Arrowhead’s Director of Buildings and Grounds, Kevin Lipscomb said, since the referendum wasn’t passed, “there are currently no plans or funds available to address stormwater management as identified in the past referendum(s).”

Lipscomb says there have been some complaints about the flooding but reported that there had been no injuries.

“I have heard of complaints in regards to campus operations being interrupted and traffic congestion, similar to what was experienced [on the 20th],” Lipscomb said.

AHS sophomore, Sam Wells, says he was not too happy about the flooding.

“Today I was planning on going to Arrowhead Conditioning Camp (ACC) after school workouts but I dropped my bag of clothes in the water and that caused me to not be able to go anymore and that made me really sad. Now the coaches might think I’m not dedicated enough, my parents think I am just making an excuse not to go and that affects me because I want to do my best and be my best and also be the best athlete I can be,” Wells said.

He also said the parking lots we not that bad. “Personally for me, parking my car was not very difficult because the parking lot for sophomores was not flooded too bad but walking up to North was bad. I almost ruined my shoes that I just bought.”

Wells described the flooding as lakes.

“I know that the teachers’ parking lot was very hard to get into and in front of the school. There is also a ton of water in front of the football stadium. It also got to the point where is was very dangerous. Kids had to jump over fences just to get around the puddles,” he said.

AHS sophomore, Caroline Berry, had some similar problems.

“Today I had to walk up to the Mullet Center for ice skating and my shoes got all wet along with my socks. This also caused my feet to be wet for the whole time during Ice Skating. It took a long time to dry and it has been very painful all day,” Berry said.

Berry said, “I feel like there wasn’t/won’t be a lot of problems getting in and out of the parking lot but more so affects the kids who have classes that switch from North to South and vice versa.”