Should Homework Be Banned On Weekends?

AHS Student, Megan Peterson stressed about the amount of homework she has on the weekend.

Homework, homework and more homework.  For it or against it on the weekends, it is here to stay.  Especially if we want to stay one of the top schools in the state.

According to U.S. News, Arrowhead High School is ranked number eight for education in the state of Wisconsin.

AHS senior Alec Meister said, “The amount of homework that I get assigned on the weekend is insane. I do not know why each weekend I feel like all I am doing is homework.”

Meister says he spends an average of five hours a weekend doing some sort of homework and studying. He said he feels as if it is another school day.  

Cathy Sirianni, an AHS study hall supervisor says, “I am against having homework over the weekend because most kids will wait until Sunday night to start. They will usually rush and not do their best work because they are mad that it was assigned to them.”

“Going to school five days a week for seven hour a day is so much to handle. On top of that is a commitment to sports and then coming home to do homework. That is why I always look forward to the weekend. But at the same time I feel like the weekend is useless when you think about all of the work you have to do and the preparation you have to do for Monday,” said Meister.

Meister says overall he isn’t happy with the amount of homework we get over the weekend.

Senior AHS student Alex Yost, on the other hand, says he has a different perspective.

“I do not have a problem with the amount of homework that we get on the weekends. Most kids over exaggerate the amount that we get. If you sit down and concentrate you can get it done in no time. Most kids are very distracted with their phone so that is why it takes so much time to get their work done,” Yost said.

Yost says that Arrowhead is such a great school because of the amount of work that we get every night and weekend for homework.

Yost  says, “Arrowhead is not only known for sports, but also for their success in academics. We are definitely one of the higher ranked schools in the state and that is why it is so challenging. It pushes us to be better students and be more prepared for college and the future.”

Yost says he is proud to attend Arrowhead High School.

“They are pushing us to be as successful as we can be and I love that about Arrowhead,” Yost said.