AHS Fall Musical Approaches Opening Day

Arrowhead’s stage crew discusses plans to build the sets for Legally Blonde: The Musical.

Arrowhead’s Broadway Company’s fall musical, Legally Blonde, is approaching quickly. The Broadway Company selected the show last spring, and auditions and summer camp were held in July, says Grace Bielski, one of the directors of the musical. Bielski is also a choir teacher at Arrowhead.

“Our choreographer from Indiana came up [in July] and he did the different combinations dance-wise, and now we’re in after-school rehearsal,” says Bielski.

After-school rehearsals begin during 10th period, and can last anytime from 4:00 to 5:00p.m. Bielski says the rehearsals will be longer in October to further ensure that the cast and crew are prepared for the show.

While tickets for the musical are not yet open to the general public, they are available at www.greateventseats.com/arrowhead for pre-order. Tickets will be sold in school starting on October 2nd.

The show will be running on October 19th, 20th, 21st, 27th, and 28th at 7:00p.m. as well as October 22nd at 1:00p.m. All performances will be held in the AHS North Campus theater.

Tickets for seats that are closest to the stage cost $20, seats along the sides of the stage are $16, and balcony seating is $12.

AHS junior Brady Jager will be starring as Mr. Woods, who is the father of the main character, Elle Woods, in this musical.

“The musical is going to be very, very fun, very active, very lively. I like how energetic it is,” says Jager.

“This show is just fun. Most people have heard about the movie, and it really has the same sort of spirit as the movie. The music is just really fun and peppy,” says Gustavo Chaviano, one of the musical’s directors.

Other students in the performance include senior McKenna Plath as Elle Woods, senior Gary Griepentrog as Emmett, senior Matt Nienhaus as Warner Huntington III, as well as others.

They love creating with students, and being able to see the incredible, tangible final product, says Bielski.

But Broadway Company is about more than just performing. Jager says he has been in the Company for about a year now, and he really enjoys it.

“It’s an open environment, and although people don’t think it’s very inclusive, it actually is, and everybody cares about each other,” says Jager.

He says being in the Company has given him a great opportunity to express himself and show his talents without being judged for it.

Bielski says that taking part in Broadway Company can teach great teamwork, and it can force you to overcome even the worst days.

“Students are pushed towards excellence, to not give up, and they have to work together through a lot of circumstances,” says Bielski.