AP Art Students Are Rockin’ It

AP Art Students Are Rockin’ It

A popular class taken at Arrowhead High School is Advanced Placement Studio Art. Matt Luebke teaches the class which he says is mostly filled with juniors and seniors. Luebke also teaches Advanced Drawing and Painting and is involved with some photography classes offered over the summer.

Grace Shrampka, a senior in his class, says, “I really like Mr. Luebke as a teacher. He gives great advice based on his experiences and is extremely encouraging when it comes to branching out and trying new techniques.”

Although the year has just begun, the students have completed one project and are moving onto their next.

Jasmine Case, a senior in the class, says, “We’ve had two projects.  The first one we had to base a piece off of a famous artist, and the second we had to randomly select three words to incorporate from a list of [one hundred] — I’m stilling working on this second one.  I’ve really enjoyed working on these projects because there are endless possibilities and you truly have control of the outcome of your art.”

Many of the students enrolled in Advanced Placement Studio Art have undertaken several art classes at Arrowhead and classes outside of Arrowhead at private shops says Case.

Case says, “Art has been my passion for years. I’ve taken classes involving ceramics, drawing, painting, sculpting, etc. Several art classes at Arrowhead have taught me a lot — but I feel like AP Studio Art will make me the best I can be.”

Shrampka says, “Drawing is my strong suit, but I’m really aiming to improve my painting skills. I enjoy those two the most and I think this class will definitely help me succeed.”

Case says, “As the year goes on more practice and more projects will continue to mold the our minds. Don’t be afraid to sign up next year.”

Shrampka says, “If you have a strong interest in art and are looking for a challenge and the chance to get some college credit, I highly recommend it. It’s fast paced and will take a lot of work, but so far I’m not regretting it one bit.”