Arrowhead DECA students head to the International Career Development Conference

From April 26th to May 1st, 2024, thirteen Arrowhead DECA students will be competing and growing their knowledge at the International Career Development Conference in Anaheim, California. 

The students attending the competition are freshman Aubrey McGuire, freshman Cayden Gusho, sophomore Malena Jerge, junior Rylie Gagnon, junior Signe Warwick, junior Eason Zhang, junior Gavin Dai, senior Lily Liu, senior Shriya Katta, senior Yamna Rahman, senior Krrish Patel and senior Gaurav Saluja. 

The trip cost for students was $400, and Hawksfest and school store extra money paid around $1,064 per student. 

McGuire said, “I’m really excited to go on this trip. I’ve done all my practice tests and my prep to compete. I’m competing in my project because I feel super confident about it, so I can’t wait to get there.”

The students will leave by plane Friday morning around 6:25 am. Students will then be bussed to and from the airport to their hotel for the six days that they are staying. 

Lodging will be at the Anaheim Marriott Suites. Students will return as well by plane on Wednesday, landing back in Milwaukee around 9:10 PM. 

DECA advisor Steve Melzer said, “This is a great group of students we are taking. We have some great talent across this group and I can’t wait for another successful ICDC.”

Students will also be going to a Los Angeles Angels baseball game, Disney California Adventure Park, and Hollywood Universal Studios as part of the trip. 

DECA is expecting around 23,000 students to attend the conference, booking up fully around 50-60 hotels to accommodate all the students traveling in. 

Students will be judged based on their role-play and project events. There will be finals and then a grand awards ceremony for first through third place with glass trophies. 

Melzer said, “It’s always a fun trip, it’s sad because this might be my last one as I’m retiring at the end of the year. So, I’m going to try to enjoy it with the kids I’ve got and know that it was a successful trip before I leave.”