Arrowhead clubs: Something for everyone

Arrowhead has about 2,400 students, 120 teachers, and two campuses. According to Arrowhead’s Clubs and Activities website page, the school offers  according to 36 clubs for students.

Just like its members, each club has its own goal or focus. One of the clubs Arrowhead has to offer is Best Buddies, which is a student-run, global volunteer club dedicated to getting to know and improving the life of intellectually disabled students in and out of school.  

Freshman Ellie Bonk, a member of Best Buddies, says, “We do things with them that they can’t do on their own. We do talent shows and all that to see what they can do, and other activities. We help them with basic stuff.”

Best Buddies teaches students how to interact with people with disabilities while giving them a unique experience. For more information on joining Best Buddies, students should contact either Mark Johnson or Eileen Dlobick.

Bonk says, “I think Best Buddies is really fun because I grew up in my middle school with a ton of disabled or disability students. So it’s easy for me to talk to them and communicate, so I like it a lot.”

The Gay-Straight Alliance, or GSA, is devoted to bringing social diversity to the school through acceptance of all individuals. The club, advised by staff member, Bridget Brinckman, meets at 2:45 on select days in the North Campus library classroom.

The International Student Club strives to bring cultural diversity to the Arrowhead community through foreign exchange students. Students can join by attending one of their monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of the month in the library classroom at 2:45, or by contacting the advisor, Brianna Mehlos.

Hamzah Alameer, a senior foreign exchange student, says his favorite part of the International Student Club is, “doing activities and getting to know about different cultures.”

Alameer says, “We do a lot of fun activities like laser tag.”

If you’re a student who would like to experiment with your creative, artsy side, there are clubs to join. The Niche club could be a perfect fit with a variety of craft activities where you’re sure to find a hidden talent. The club meets with the adviser, Mrs. Barbee, about twice a month, on the first and third Tuesday of each month. The location is either at South campus in room 905, or North campus in room 200, depending on the project.

Perhaps debating political affairs and learning about real-life governmental issues is something you are interested in. If that’s the case, then Junior States of America (JSA) is the right club for you. JSA meets twice a month, and students who want to join should contact Mr. Tower.

Arrowhead also offers Model U.N, which allows students to learn about diplomacy and simulate the United Nations. This club meets at 2:45 every Monday, and students who are want to learn more about joining should contact the adviser Phil Kasun.

From language clubs and psych club to Student Senate and DECA, Arrowhead High School offers a wide variety of activities to get students more active and involved. The Arrowhead website provides more information and descriptions of each club and how to join under the Clubs and Activities page.