AHS AP Students Test

AHS AP Students Test

On Monday, May 4th, Advanced Placement testing started at Arrowhead High School. It will continue until May 15th, 2015.

Arrowhead High School currently offers 18 advanced placement courses serving around 500 students per year, according to Arrowhead’s website. They are year-long classes every day for 60 minutes, while the regular classes are only 40 minutes. At the end of the year, a test is given, if the students pass, they get a college credit.

The tests consist of multiple choice questions and free response. Only number 2 pencils are allowed — no mechanical. Testing occurs for 10 days, with starting times of 8 AM, 12 PM, and 2 PM. A testing schedule for each class is available on arrowheadschools.org.  Testing takes place in Arrowhead’s West Gym.

The only cost is $95 to take each AP test.

According to brighthub.com, The average credit cost for in-state tuition for a public four-year college is $7,605. Arrowhead students who take advantage of the Advanced Placement programs obtain college credits and often are able to test out of college courses.

There are two sections on the AP Exam, and a break in between. During the break, students are not allowed to consult textbooks, notes, teachers or other students; and you may not use any electronic or communication devices, like a cell phone, for any reason. The testing period is around 5 hours per test.

AP Tests are scored on a 1-5 scale, 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. To receive a college credit, a score of 3 or higher needs to be met. According to ArrowheadSchools.org, In 2011, Arrowhead had 549 students take 1053 exams with 82% of our students earning a 3 or better on the exam. Arrowhead also had 51.1% of seniors score a 3 or higher on at least one Advanced Placement Exam.

Ali Nigel, Junior at Arrowhead, is taking AP Art Studio.

“We don’t take an AP test, but we submit a portfolio with 24 pieces of art on Friday, May 8th of our college level work from the year. It is also scored on a 1-5 scale. Depending on the quality of your work and the university you attend, you can even earn more than one credit — That happened to my neighbor,” said Nigel.

A popular class, AP Calculus, had an exam on May 5th, 2015. Michael Tanke, senior at Arrowhead, experienced his first AP Test.

“Mr. Urban, my teacher, always challenges us in class so that we are prepared for the test. I got a lot of sleep and studied. When I took the practice test and scored a 5, so hopefully it’ll be a similar outcome,” said Tanke.

AP testing is a way to receive college credits early and more cost efficient. Many students take advantage of AP classes at Arrowhead. Testing will continue until May 15th, 2015 and then AP classes will be over. Make up days for AP testing will be on May 20th, 21st, and 22nd. According to APstudent.collegeboard.org, Test scores will be released online only to high schools, the students, and their designated colleges in July 2015.