Attend Graduation or Compete at State

Attend Graduation or Compete at State

Arrowhead High School’s graduation ceremony will occur on Saturday, June 6th at 7:30. It will be outdoors, held on the football field. Entrance to the seating in the bleachers will be available beginning at 6:30 pm.

If Arrowhead’s Track and Field team makes it to State, the meet will fall on the same date, June 6th. The meet will be held in Lacrosse, Wisconsin. The students will have to leave early in the morning and won’t arrive home until late at night.

According to ArrowheadSchools.org, “Arrowhead High School is home to one of the largest Track and Field programs in the area. We pride ourselves on getting as many students as possible involved with the sport. Each week there is generally a meet for Varsity, Junior Varsity and Freshmen athletes. Most meets are local with a few exceptions for the Varsity team.”

Jostens were delivered on Thursday, April 23rd, 9 – noon, in the commons to deliver graduation cap, gown, and announcement orders. Students paid prices from $63.99 all the way to $159.96 for Cap and Gown packages. The packages, ordered early last fall, are non refundable.

“Arrowhead track has a long history of success. We have won multiple championships and runner up finishes at Wisconsin’s oldest and largest state championship. We’ve also won dozens of sectional, regional and conference championships and have had numerous All-American performances at the high school national championship. We have sent countless student athletes on to compete in college, but most importantly, through our high standards and expectations, we have built the character and work ethic necessary to succeed outside of athletics,” according to Arrowhead’s website.

Students are finding out now that they may have to miss attending and walking in their class graduation ceremony. The coaches don’t view the meet as a choice for varsity players —  resulting in loss of  money on an non refundable cap and gown. The question is, to walk at graduation or to continue on the track team’s success.

Michael Tanke, Senior pole vaulter on Arrowhead’s Varsity Track team said, “I think it’s a shame that two important events are happening on the same day, forcing student athletes to miss their graduation.”

Students and other people that are unable to attend will be able to see a live broadcast of the graduation ceremony on TV, watch an online live broadcast, or purchase a DVD of the broadcast as well.

Sam Mortenson, Senior at Arrowhead, says, “A lot of my bestfriends are on varsity track and it kinda sucks that they can’t be at the ceremony with me. It’s one last time being together as a class.”