The Lake Arts Project

The Lake Arts Project is planning it’s second annual performance. It is a collaboration of the arts from Arrowhead High School and dance from the Milwaukee Ballet School. Students from Arrowhead create music and artwork with special requirements for choreographers to translate into dance.

Karl Von Rabenau, principal of Milwaukee Ballet II, and his wife Jennifer Miller, faculty member at Milwaukee Ballet School, created the Lake Arts Project. “It is a non-profit organization that creates opportunities for young artists to experience how their artwork affects the world around them. The mission of The Lake Arts Project is to give children and young people an experience immersed in art, teaching them that art is an essential part of life through collaborative projects,” according to Rabenau.

First, the music is composed and rehearsed by musicians from Arrowhead High School. Next, artists from Arrowhead will interpret the music and incorporate the historical periods of art into their work. Choreographers will then translate the works of art into dance for professional dancers and students from Milwaukee Ballet School and Acadamy to perform.

This years show, called “Reflections: Through our Hands and Feet,” is a theme of celebrating the evolution of music and dance. It will take place on Friday, April 24th at Arrowhead High School. It will occur at 7 PM in the North Campus theater. There will also be a performance on Sunday, April 26th in Milwaukee. It will be showing at Danceworks at 5 PM. Tickets can be purchased for $12 online at lakeartsproject.com, $15 at the door for adults, and $10 at the door for students.

The Lake Arts Project depends on donations and government grants to continue their mission. The money that is raised, from donations and ticket sales, will be used to pay for production costs. The costs include hiring professional dancers and choreographers, printing, advertising, travel expenses, liability, costume rental, and theater rental. Any and all donations are appreciated, no matter the size. Some higher donations come with prizes, such as a Lake Arts Project t-shirt, tote bag, signed pointe shoes, a private ballet lesson, a print of the artwork, and a grand prize dinner with the producers. The campaign started on March 17th, 2015 and will close on April 14th, 2015 at 11:59 PM, with a goal of $12,000. Donate at lakeartsproject.com

Emma Fitch, Senior at Arrowhead, had her artwork featured in the show last year. “The show was awesome, the dancers definitely conveyed the mood of each piece of art. It was so cool to see my art interpreted into dance. This year, my class was assigned to create a piece for The Lake Arts Project, so I definitely plan on going again,” said Fitch.

Emily Lesch, also Senior at Arrowhead High School, will have her artwork in the show for the second year in a row. “I was proud to be in the show last year and loved it. They chose artwork, including mine, and choreographed a dance to go with it. Before each dance, they showed the artwork on the screen in the theater. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the dancers were so good — they really are professional. They put on a great show, and tickets are very inexpensive. I can’t wait to see what they do this year,” said Lesch.