November’s Student and Teacher of the Month

A new month means a new selection of the most outstanding students and teachers. Every month, two teachers and two students are elected by Arrowhead’s Student Senate to be recognized as Teacher or Student of the Month.

November’s teachers of the month are SuperWrite and Study Skills teacher Mike Dahle and English teacher Mike Feuerstahler. The two students elected were junior, Stavros Skoufis and sophomore, Nick Loke. Each person received a coupon for four free coffees from the Wally Grounds Cafe or four free cookies from the Arrowhead Cafe.

Each teacher has their own way of teaching.  Dahle says, “I’ve been doing my best to shake things up at school and getting as involved as possible through academic, clubs, sports, and administrative.”

Dahle teaches Computer Essentials, Desktop Publishing, Intermediate Computer Applications, Web Design, Multimedia Applications, a member of the Integrated Learning Academy, and coming soon Video Game Design.

“Although it isn’t coaching, I’m [the] adviser to the Ski and Snowboard Club and assist with DECA.  I find this to be extremely beneficial because you get to connect with students in a manner outside the classroom. You have the option to show/share more about you, which in many classrooms can be difficult to find the time to do with students,” says Dahle.

Dahle has been a teacher for two years, both at Arrowhead.

Feuerstahler teaches English 11 and English 12. He is also the wide receiver coach for Arrowhead’s football team and he is the head freshman baseball coach. He has been a teacher for seven years, four of them at Arrowhead.

“By being a coach you really get to know your students a lot better outside of the classroom because you spend more time with them. It’s also not a school setting,” says Feuerstahler.

Dahle says, “Being one of the younger teachers I’m sure makes it easier to connect with students.  I also try to alter my activities so they can pick topics of their interest.”

Feuerstahler also tries to relate to his students.  “I don’t lecture much. I give more group work. I like to challenge them and have them pull their own weight rather than me doing all of the work for them,” says Feuerstahler.

“Mr. Feuerstahler strives to make it a good learning environment for class. He’s also really funny, makes it fun to learn, relates to everyone and treats everyone equally,” says senior, Ty Jaeger.

One of the students of the month is junior Stavros Skoufis. Skoufis is an avid contributor to Student Senate body.

Skoufis also participates in multiple clubs. He also is a member of the wrestling team and robotics team.

Skoufis says, “I do all these activities and manage to focus and school and manage my workload.”

On being selected Skoufis says, “I am honored to be selected although I don’t know how I was chosen yet I’m happy that it was recognized how hard I work, yet I’m sure there are others who should get just as much or more recognition.”

The other student of the month sophomore Nick Loke did not respond to our questions.