The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Feature on Spanish Club at Arrowhead

The Spanish Club at Arrowhead High School has been a lively club since the late 1970s according to Jeanne Psket, an AHS Spanish teacher. As of this year, there are 165 active members in the club with an additional 64 members that are a part of the Spanish Honors Society (SHS). 

The club is run by Spanish teacher Kathi Koepke. Along with three co-presidents from SHS that play a role in putting together activities. Three co-presidents: senior Faith Knabenbauer is the director of communications, senior Shriya Katta is the director of meetings/events, and senior Theo Diorio is the points keeper. 

Members of SHS play an important role in putting on the activities of the club. SHS members are made up of only juniors and seniors who became members by applying at the end of their sophomore year. 

“A lot of time honor members will take a leadership role in the activities put on by the club or they can participate in the activity, it is each student’s preference,” says Psket. 

The club typically meets once a month for the month’s activity. This month’s activity is a wax museum. The museum will be put on by SHS members impersonating famous Spanish people in the north campus library. 

This activity will be taking place on Tuesday, October 10th. Last month’s activity was a scavenger hunt. Anyone who wants to show up is welcome.

Information regarding the activities put on by the club is accessible through the club’s canvas page as well as posted in Spanish classes. Anyone who decides to participate is a member of the club.

Most activities put on by the Spanish club are after school. The one exception is the trip to Concordia Language Villages for a Weekend to give students the opportunity to learn Spanish by being immersed in the language and culture of the village. 

This trip is the 22nd annual trip put on by the Spanish club. The students will be driving to villages in Bemidji, Minnesota.