Meet one of Arrowhead’s Band Directors, Ryan Meisel

Ryan Meisel is entering his second year at Arrowhead as one of the band directors. He is the director of Concert Band, Symphonic Band North, Jazz Ensemble, and a club after school called 3 O’clock Jazz or 3OJ. 

Meisel said, I worked twelve years as a K-eight general music teacher and band director at Erin School in Hartford and three years as band director at New Berlin Eisenhower.”

Meisel wanted to come here because he was looking for a new opportunity and has always wanted to work with Band Director Jake Polanich. 

Students who have Meisel say he makes band class so much fun every day. They say his work ethic and his hilarious mid-song stories along with his jokes make him an incredible teacher. 

Sophomore student Ella Lowe said, “Even though I am not a band student, I enjoy Mr. Meisel’s energy and how nice he is to me even though I don’t play an instrument.” 

Meisels says he likes to do a lot of outdoor activities. He likes to perform, he is a part of a band with Polancich. 

Meisel says he likes to spend time with his wife, and they like to go hiking together. Meisel also loves baseball, particularly the Milwaukee Brewers, and loves to go to games as much as he can. 

I enjoy being outdoors with my wife Celia; hiking, backpacking, camping, kayaking, biking, and traveling. I have a passion for baseball and the brewers. I like to read [and] love to perform my jazz music, world music, and contribute to the development of community music education,” Meisel said. 

He says he is so grateful for the opportunity to work alongside Polancich as they have been friends for many years and also have been forming together in Polancich’s band before Meisel started working at Arrowhead. 

Meisel also said, “I love working with my best friend, and band mate Mr. Polancich.

Meisel says he loves his job at Arrowhead and he hopes to be doing it for many years to come. 

Meisel says, “I love the culture and tradition of the band at Arrowhead.  A tradition that I was a part of when I went to school here.  I am excited about the way our students work together to challenge themselves and lead each other to be the best they can be. I have fun in the bands that I teach and like to see other students having fun performing in all of our different ensembles.”