Girls Hockey Season Starts

The+Mullett+Ice+Center+where+the+Girls+Varsity+Hockey+Team+plays--+located+in+between+Arrowheads+North+and+South+campuses.+

The Mullett Ice Center where the Girls Varsity Hockey Team plays– located in between Arrowhead’s North and South campuses.

Do you know which school was the first school in Southeast Wisconsin to offer varsity girls ice hockey at the WIAA level? According to the WIAA website, Arrowhead high school was the first to offer varsity girls ice hockey at the WIAA level . The Arrowhead girls hockey varsity coach is Andy Smith. He receives assistance from Marissa Weber, and a goalie coach named Garrett Galster.

Arrowhead Girls Hockey is only offered at the varsity level at Arrowhead. Girls Hockey tryouts were held at the Mullett Ice Center on Monday November 7th, and conclude on Friday November 11th. Tryouts are from 5:15 am to 6:15am.  Following tryouts are practices and games, all held at the Mullett Ice Center, located on Arrowhead’s campus in between North and South campus. “Practices begin at 3:15 and end at 4:15 every monday through friday. Workouts are usually after practice, and sometimes even on Saturdays” says Fran Penny, player on the team, and junior at Arrowhead.

Penny is a third year player on Arrowhead’s girls hockey varsity team. She says “the atmosphere, being on the ice, and the people on my team are my favorite part about playing hockey for Arrowhead.” According to Penny, “this year our most challenging game will be against USM because they are always a pretty strong team to play against.” Penny and the other players “all get along well and are pretty close” Penny says.

Skylar Wegner, sophomore at Arrowhead and first year player on Arrowhead’s girls hockey varsity team, says “I am very excited for this season, but I am scared because I’m new and I don’t want to mess up”  Wegner also says “I like hockey because I am doing on my own, not following my friends or anything. None of my siblings or anyone in my family, so I really like it. I get to be aggressive, and playing hockey will help me get into shape.” All of the players on the team get along really well and Wegner says “Since I am new, all of the other players pretty much know each other already and mostly talk to each other, and I just chill, but the girls on the team are really nice.” She hopes she can make new friends and teammates from being on the team, and so far she has been successful.  Wegner plays left wing and center for the girls varsity hockey team.

Sian Davis, senior at Arrowhead and avid fan of the Arrowhead Girls Hockey team says “I am so excited to watch the girls this season. I have friends on the team, and I love to watch them play.” Davis attended a lot of the games last school year, and hoped to attend even more this year. “There is a good amount of fans there, and a lot of my friends come with me to support our classmates and friends. The team is so good and so enjoyable to watch. I can’t wait for the games this season.”