Should Arrowhead Have Fewer Periods in a Day

Should Arrowhead Union High School switch over to block scheduling in the years to come? Is block scheduling a better system for educating students? How will students and teachers respond to block scheduling?

Arrowhead senior Myra Garlid said, “I don’t think we should switch change to block days because I don’t think I would be able to concentrate on one subject for such a long period of time for every single class.”

High school senior Jhawn Neuman said, “I like how the school already gives us the option for taking block classes. I don’t think forcing it on everyone will be effective for everyone’s learning.”

Arrowhead’s current schedule system presents students with the option of taking a block course. These courses are 80 minutes long meeting every other day. A normal Arrowhead period meets for 40 minutes every day. Many students mix in block courses with their schedule, having both 40-minute classes and 80-minute classes.

Science teacher Brian Corry said, “We already have block scheduling. If the school would decide to change because it’s better for learning then I’m all for it. We change for specific reasons. We don’t change to change.”

Instead of bock scheduling, some believe we should extend class time and cut the number of periods in a day.

Science teacher Jim Albers said, “I think block schedules are kind of effective. Personally I’d rather see an eight period day with kids taking six classes so the classes would be longer. Really there are pros and cons to the block schedule, because not everyone can handle 80 minutes of class.”

“There are advantages and disadvantages. For some students it is adventitious to get a year’s worth done in a semester,” said Social Studies teacher Craig Haase.

Many students feel changing to block scheduling would limit their education because they would not be as divers in different subjects.

“I like the ability to choose my classes and I feel that the courses would be limited by having block periods,” said Neuman.

Haase said, “Being able to maintain the current schedule by having choice and option are good. The uniqueness of having 40-minute classes gives students more variety for courses to take.”

Some teachers at Arrowhead are concerned that if we changed to block scheduling, classes would be cut and teachers would be let go because not enough kids would take these classes.

“I’ve taught block classes and normal classes over my years of teaching. It can be very difficult to cover a years’ worth of learning in just 40 minutes, such as U.S. History. If some classes need to be 60 minutes so the students get more out of it, I think that would help, but some electives don’t need to be 60 minutes. Teaching a block class wasn’t a strain on my teaching, so if the school happens to choose to do this I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult for teachers to adjust. But lecturing for what would then be 80 minutes isn’t for everyone so teachers would have to mix up the way they present and teach information to students,” said Haase.