Arrowhead Students Danced the Night Away at Enchanted Forest Prom

Enchanted Forest prom ticket, taken by Teresa Artone

Arrowhead’s prom theme this year was “Enchanted Forest.” It took place on Saturday, April 28th, at Country Springs Hotel in Pewaukee, Wisconsin. Student Senate organized and decorated the venue, and doors opened at 6:15pm.

For many Arrowhead students, prom is an all-day ordeal. Students schedule hair appointments, and take pictures at a variety of locations in the area.

“I started getting ready at like 12:30, as did a lot of my other friends,” says AHS junior Alex Hepfner. “I think the main point of prom isn’t even the dance, but all of the getting ready to go beforehand. My group and I took pictures at Frame Park in Waukesha at 5:00 and they came out amazing. At first we were nervous that we wouldn’t be able to get any good pictures because the weather had been so bad last week, but luckily the sun came out on prom day.”

Prom ticket sales began at the end of March, starting at $70 each, and concluded on Friday, April 13 with the price rising to $80 each. Included in the ticket price was dinner. This year, the entree options were chicken parmesan, baked salmon, or the vegetarian tortellini. In addition to the entree, students also received bread, salad, and a dessert of either chocolate mousse or strawberry cheesecake.

Rahmel says, “I thought the food was fine. I got the tortellini. I’ve heard bad things in the past about the food but I didn’t really think it was that terrible.”

Prom tables seated ten, and when buying tickets, all of the students had to go to Tamara Varsos’s room to reserve the table for the whole group.

“Prom was a lot better than homecoming was to me,” says AHS junior Izzy Rahmel. “After my freshman year homecoming, I never went back. I thought the dance being in the gym was kind of awkward and the music was terrible. And after talking with my friends when they went the years after that, it seems like the only people that go anymore are the freshman. I was kind of nervous to go to prom because the tickets are so expensive, and I didn’t want to be miserable the entire time like I was at homecoming. But once I got to prom, and saw all of the decorations and got to sit down for dinner, I felt so much more at ease.”

According to Varsos, teacher advisor of Student Senate, the dance was DJed this year by Midwest Sound.

Hepfner says, “Music this year was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I know that the school is really strict about what music plays because they don’t want anything inappropriate, even though we’re basically adults, so it was actually fun to be able to dance to the music that I listen to now, and not the music from when I was in middle school. It also helped that my friend Kent made the playlist and not some random teacher.”

Rahmel says, “Overall, I had a really good time at prom and I’m definitely going to plan on going next year.”