New Addition To Social Studies Department

New+Addition+To+Social+Studies+Department+

It’s the same routine for social studies teacher Chris Skaros.  His alarm sounds in the morning and he takes his dog out.  Then he continues to get ready for work.  Upon arriving at Arrowhead, he uses the first three periods to prepare for his American Problems and U.S. History classes.  After teaching, he returns home and unwinds.  This may seem like a schedule that can get old fast, but not for Skaros.  “Every day in the classroom is new and exciting,” Skaros says.

As a new teacher this year, at Arrowhead, Skaros is adjusting to the building; he is also getting to know the students around him.

“One of the things I really enjoy about my job is getting to know kids,” says Skaros.  “It’s never the same group of kids. Everyone’s different.”

Skaros says he tries his hardest in the classroom to give every student an equal opportunity to achieve in the classroom.

When it comes to his teaching philosophy, he says, “Content is important, but students developing critical thinking skills is more important to me.  I want students to be able to make connections and think about the world around them.”

Skaros has positive things to say about the students at Arrowhead, he says, “The kids here set high expectations for themselves; they want to do well in the classroom.

Skaros has had challenges since becoming a new teacher here at Arrowhead.  “The curriculum expectations are new to me.  U.S. History isn’t new to me but American Problems is.”

Despite not having taught American problems before, he says he is up to the task.

Riley McCoy, a student of Skaros, said, “He’s doing a good job for being a new teacher, he is naturally a good teacher and keeps students interested in class.”