Excitement Rises for Upcoming American Music Awards

Arrowhead Sophomore Maddie Kredell interviewed in article.

The American Music Awards are hosted yearly in the month of November. This year, the AMA’s can be viewed on ABC at 5:00 pm eastern time on November 20th. Nomination categories include, Artist of the Year, New Artist of the Year, Collaboration of the Year, and many more. The winners get an AMA trophy.

“I absolutely cannot wait for the AMA’s. I am a huge fan of award shows and the AMA’s are always great. Obviously, my favorite nomination is Justin Bieber for Artist of the Year because he’s amazing,” says sophomore Jake Kellerman.

According to the American Music Awards website, the hosts this year are national supermodel Gigi Hadid and comedian Jay Pharaoh. Past hosts included Jennifer Lopez in 2015, Pitbull in 2014 and 2013, and Christina Aguilera in 2012.

When interviewed by the Dick Clark Production, Hadid said she is excited to host with Pharaoh and can’t wait to show him her goofy side when announcing this year’s nominations.

“I’m excited about Gigi Hadid hosting. I think she will attract many people to watch and do a great job hosting. Jay Pharaoh is also really funny and I can’t wait to see how they will announce the nominees,” says sophomore Maddie Kredell.

This year, the American Music Awards will feature performances from artists including Ariana Grande, John Legend, Shakira, Fifth Harmony, and many more, according to www.theamas.com. Fifth Harmony and Twenty One Pilots are first time AMA nominees. Fifth Harmony is nominated for Collaboration of the Year, and Twenty One Pilots are nominated for Favorite Artist and Artist of the Year.

The www.theamas.com stresses that it is important to vote because the nomination results are based soley of popular votes. People can vote for the AMA award winners by logging into their Facebook accounts and then voting at www.theamas.com. Anyone is allowed to vote and according to the Dick Clark Productions, voting is open until Saturday, November 19th. Voting is only available once for each nominee section.

“I am going to vote because it is a way to show my support for my favorite artists and help them win their nominations,” says Kredell.

Other award shows that students like Kredell, Kellerman, and sophomore Rachel Foust enjoy include The Emmy’s on September 18th, The Grammys on February 11th, and the Oscars on February 26th.