Teachers Outplay Students in Homecoming Week Football Game

The air is brisk, the leaves will begin to turn shades of orange, brown, and yellow, and pumpkin spice is in our lattes. Yes, it’s fall, and that means football–and lots of it. Professional, collegiate, high school, and even Pop Warner.

But there was a different kind of football game played Sunday the 13th. The student versus teacher football game is a homecoming tradition that has gone on for years on the Sunday before homecoming week. This year’s game consisted of eight students and twelve teachers.

This year, the students held practices in the days leading up to the game. They showed up to the game with plays and formations to run.

The student team was coached by two varsity football players senior Austin Grandinetti, a free safety, and senior Anthony Kauer, a defensive tackle.

“We showed up prepared, with an assortment of formations and offensive plays based on a combination of plays from the varsity football team, and Madden,” said head coach Grandinetti.

The student team had two ex-varsity players in

Austin Brandt is a six foot three inch senior while Sam Boler, a six foot track player who is also a senior. Both played receiver.

“It was nice to have the height on the outside.” said Assistant coach Kauer.

The teacher’s team consisted of former collegiate athlete John Hoch, a basketball player at Carroll University who teaches health and former track athlete Chris Herriot, who teaches psychology.

The teachers used Herriot as a dual threat quarterback who was able to throw the ball down field or tuck the ball and run.

Hoch contributed by sealing the edge on defence and using his speed to chase down students.

The teachers were able to score on the first drive making it 7-0 with 12 minutes left in the first quarter.

But the students answered with the help of a long run play by senior Boler.

The students then scored on a receiving touchdown catch by senior Noah May, making the score 7-7 with 9 minutes left in the first.

After the first half, the score was 7-27 teachers.

The halftime entertainment was a dance performance by the Arrowhead dance team, and a cheer done by the Arrowhead cheer team.

In the end, the teachers came out with the win, 14-41.

After the game students and teachers came together and took a team picture that will be put in the yearbook like all the pictures of the homecoming tradition before.