Another Spring Another Track Season

Another+Spring+Another+Track+Season+

The first recorded examples of organized track and field events at a sports festival were at the Ancient Olympic Games. In 776 BC in Olympia, Greece. Track season here at Arrowhead just kicked off on the 10th of March. The first meet was held on March 21st at Watertown High School. This race was held indoors and will continue competing indoors until the weather at an appropriate state.

Cameron Nowicki, a sophomore at AHS, says, “I absolutely hate running races indoor because it gives you really bad dry mouth. Running inside also tends to get really boring compared to running outside.”

AHS provides the opportunity to practice and compete with pole vaulting.

The Classic Eight includes AHS, Catholic Memorial, Kettle Moraine, Mukwonago, Muskego High School, Waukesha North, Waukesha South, and Waukesha West. AHS athletes compete in pole vaulting, discus throw, shot put, long jump, high jump, hurdles, a variety of relay races, variety of long distance and a variety of short distance.

Before the track season begins at AHS, there is an off season of training with coach Brauer. The training open to all track runners by the invite of the coach. During this training they do cardio workouts.

Karley Adams, a sophomore at AHS, says, “I also run cross country and I enjoy it more than track because I’m more of a distance runner and track has more races that are orientated for short sprints. When cross country and track are over I make sure to attend the off season training with my coach because it is an awesome  way to stay in shape.”

During the most recent JV track race, AHS placed first in all of the events. Their next meet is March 29th, beginning at 10:00 at Watertown High School.

Adams says, “After high school track and cross country end, I plan to continue keeping running in my workout regime and continually improving, but I’m not sure if I’d like to continue it during my college years.”

Nowicki says, “I run track because I love the feeling of accomplishment after an awesome run, and having a great team is a really cool aspect as well.”