The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Girl Up Club collects supplies for Women’s Centers

On April 1st, 2024, Arrowhead’s Girl Up club began a collection drive for the Milwaukee and Waukesha Women’s Centers, according to a document shared with Arrowhead staff by Girl Up club advisor Jennifer Passler. The drive runs from April 1st to April 19th. 

The desired items for the drive include twin sheets, books in Spanish, blankets, toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, other toiletries, and more. Gift cards to Amazon, Walmart, Pick ’n Save, Aldi, and Gas stations are also needed, according to the document. 

All items must be new and can be dropped off at either greeter’s station or in room NC201. 

According to the Arrowhead website, “Girl Up is a United Nations sponsored organization that works to fight gender discrimination all over the world. The club organizes awareness, fundraising, and advocacy activities in our community to make sure that all girls — here and around the world — are educated, healthy, safe, counted, and positioned to be the next generation of leaders.”

The requirements for being a member for Girl Up are to attend each monthly meeting, complete at least one volunteer event each semester, and take part in club activities, according to the Arrowhead website. Students from any grade level can join. 

“We are hoping that we will be able to collect a lot of donations because both centers offer really important services to vulnerable populations,” says Passler. 

This is the first Women’s shelter supply drive Girl Up is hosting. 

According to the Milwaukee Women’s Shelter website, “Our mission [is] to provide innovative, culturally competent holistic care that will empower men, women, and children to live safe, independent, and healthy lives.”

Anyone can donate to the drive.

“I didn’t know that Girl Up was hosting a drive. Now that I know I might donate some toiletries to help out,” says senior Emma Danes.