New Emergency Text Messaging System

On Friday, February 10th, a threat went around the school that something bad was going to happen and the school gave no announcement to stop hundreds of kids from fleeing Arrowhead when the rumor spread.

Arrowhead is now moving to an emergency text messaging system for all parents and students that was tested on March 5th at 4:00 PM.

If you do not receive a text message from School Messenger today, please text “Yes” to the number 67587 to enroll in text communications from the district. 

No students reported having received the message.

Sophomore Ella Lowe said, “I was confused about how they were even going to get my phone number. Plus how they would reach my dad and mom because my dad got a new phone which gave him a new phone number.” 

According to The Arrowhead Advisor, the message was going to be basic saying something along the lines of “On Tuesday, March 5th, we will be testing our new emergency alerts system and you will get an alert on your phone like this one, you do not need to take any action.” 

Creative writing and journalism teacher Elizabeth Jorgensen said she did not receive the alert so she texted the number. 

Jorgensen said, “I texted the number 67587 with a Y and it responded saying ‘You’re registered 4 SchoolMessenger notifications. Reply STOP to cancel, HELP for help. Msg&data rates may apply. Msg freq varies.’” 

According to Principal Adam Kurth, “This new system will be used for emergency situations or when the school will need to reach the students and parents quickly and appropriately.”

Kurth also stated on the Arrowhead Advisor, “We are instituting a new text communication tool for use during immediate or emergency situations.  Once we can ensure that our text system is reaching our families with fidelity, we will begin to use this as our main form of communication during emergency situations or situations where immediate information is necessary.”