Freshmen share thoughts on school-issued laptops

Arrowhead started issuing Chromebook laptops for freshmen students at the start of the ‘23-24 school year. The reason for the school issued laptops, according to the AHS website, was because Arrowhead wants to make sure that students have a smooth, focused, and safe place to learn.

Parents and Arrowhead worked together to get the Chromebooks. The payments were split between the parents and the school district, so families will own the device after their child graduates. 

Some students like having the same laptop as everyone else. 

Freshman Sidney Zehner says, “I honestly don’t mind them. It’s nice for everyone to have the same Chromebook with the same features. For example there is a pen and drawing feature that acts as whiteboards for us in Spanish class. These computers are touchscreen and can fold over like an ipad. I think there might be better options for engineering or tech classes but for the basic classes I think they are fine.”

Arrowhead has a lot of tech and engineering classes. Freshmen are able to take Intro. to Engineering & Mfg. (PLTW). There is a class for girls and a class for boys due to how many students take it. After students take that introduction course there are many more options that open up for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. 

Some students say they don’t mind the laptops but wish they were a different kind.

Freshman Sam Haas says, “The laptops are okay but I really wish instead of Chromebooks we had MacBooks just because I prefer apple products better, but overall it is not too bad.”

At Wings, an orientation for all incoming freshmen that’s held in the summer. The Chromebooks were given out and students were taught how to use them. Students also went over rules and steps for how to use and take care of the device properly, as well as how to log in to their Google and Arrowhead accounts.