The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Students Prepare for Track 2024

Arrowhead’s Track and Field season starts on March 4, 2024. To sign up there is a Google form linked on the Arrowhead website. Practices will start at 3pm everyday and end around 5pm. According to the Arrowhead Website practice might be done earlier or later depending on what each event group is doing that specific day during practice. 

Returning students from last year’s team are seniors Rachel Kleinhans,Taylor Thimmesch, Logan Hicks, Tyler Heiman, Rebecca Barnes and more.

This year, the Track and Field team is adding a new head coach for the girls team. In the past years, there was only one head coach for both the girls and boys team combined; now there will be one coach for the boys—Chris Harriot—and one for the girls—Jason Eiseman. 

Arrowhead’s boys track team has won multiple championships; specifically they were the WIAA  2022 and 2023 state champions. 

Kleinhans said, “I alternate running and lifting two to three times a week.” 

Kleinhans has been running since she was five. Kleinhans is committed to the University of St. Thomas to run track. Her main events are the 300M hurdles, 100M hurdles, and the 4x400M. Last year, in the 2023 track season, Kleinhans set a school record of 14.76 seconds for 100M hurdles. 

According to Carters home gym weight training can decrease risk of injury, increase endurance by having more muscle, increase speed, improve running form and more.

Barnes said, “I run three-five miles six times a week to get into shape and I try to lift sometimes to help with my strength.” 

Barnes is a distance runner and has been doing track and field for Arrowhead all four years of her high school career. Her main events are the 1600M and the 800M. 

There are many running events in track and field for high school. There are the sprints, which consist of the 50M dash, 100M, and 200M. There are the hurdles, which are the 100M and 300M. There are relays: 4x100M, 4x200m, 4x800m, and 4x400M. The distance events are the 800M, 1600M, and 3200M. 

There are also the field events: high jump, long jump, discus, shot put, pole vault, and hammer.

Senior Gracice Longrie said, “I run a lot during the off season to get stronger for my events.”