The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

(SOTM) AHS Starts Student of the Month

Arrowhead has started a recognition highlighting outstanding students who have captured the gratitude or appreciation of other teachers and administrators. This recognition is now known as Arrowhead Student of the Month, which officially started in October of 2023. 

Arrowhead’s principal, Adam Kurth,  is the originator of this recognition program but the Student of the Month names are selected from teachers in all of the departments. Mr. Kurth was a part of this program at previous schools and he wanted to bring it to AHS. 

Teachers by themselves or at department meetings select students and give a reason why they are selecting a student. One student per department is selected each month, including a student from administration. Once chosen, the names are put on slips of paper and one name from each department is randomly drawn.

Students chosen in October include seniors Brittain Wittig, Maggie Jahnke, Lauren Wulf, Gabriella Rodriguez, Elijah Novy, Matthew Schmeiding, and Yamna Rahman, and sophomores Kasumi Lucas and Bridget Van Glider.

“I feel very honored, I was a little shocked when I got picked. We got an anonymous email telling us to go to the office and I was nervous I was in trouble but I found out I was selected for the art department,” says Wittig.

The teachers select a student and give the grade level they are in but do not see who else has been nominated. Therefore there is not always an even balance between grade levels, but every student regardless of their year, has an opportunity to be selected if chosen by their teacher. 

“We want to celebrate students who go above and beyond what’s expected, are seen doing good things, etc. We know our students are always doing great things and it’s our pleasure to celebrate them,” says Becky Gordon, Arrowhead’s Associate Principal. 

This new recognition has been placed in the Arrowhead Advisor and is being posted on social media. Social media platforms include the @ahs_students_parents_asap or @arrowheadschools instagram account. 

“We would like to post this recognition in each building as well, but we haven’t reached that point yet”, says Gordon.  

“Students are given a certificate, some treats and we do a drawing for either a pizza party with a few friends or a reserved parking spot for one month,” says Gordon.