Hosa Organizes Basket Raffle On January 19th

The HOSA club at Arrowhead is a group with the mission to provide future health professionals with the tools they need to become leaders in the global health community through collaboration, education, and hands-on experience. HOSA stands for Health Occupations Students Of America.  

The club held a basket raffle where students created different themed baskets for teachers to have a chance to win. This raffle was held on Friday, January 19th from 11:30am to 1:30pm in the North campus library. Friday the 19th was the day after the students’ final exams and the teachers had the day to grade; they also had a chance to vote for different baskets to have a chance to win that particular basket. 

Raffle tickets were bought by teachers costing five dollars for five tickets, ten dollars for ten tickets and $15 for 25 tickets. 

Sophomore Esme Habeck says, “My group and I started looking for ideas on pinterest and once we settled on a baking themed basket we went to Target. At Target we gathered baking supplies such as decorations, frosting, cake mixed, measuring cups, cookie cutters, and more.” 

Students created different kinds of baskets such as a self care basket, movie night basket, coffee lover basket, cozy night basket, pink out basket and many more. The pink out basket included treats, a skin care headband, lip balm and a lip mask. 

Afterwards, HOSA requested that teachers vote for their favorite basket. The two teams that had the highest number of votes were able to choose the health charity that they wanted to receive their donations.

The basket that came in first place was the “Dog and Owner” basket that held various dog toys, dog treats and human treats. This basket was won by Kathy Birkes-Drees, an Arrowhead High school business education teacher. 

The basket that came in second place was the “Caffeine Fix” basket held bags of coffee, a coffee mug, a Starbucks gift card, and other coffee related items. This basket was chosen by Cammy Ley, an Arrowhead High school Chemistry teacher.