The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

What to know about 2024-2025 Arrowhead Calendar

As first semester comes to a close, planning has already begun for 2024-2025. The calendar  has some changes coming to it such as block scheduling, more time off during breaks for students, and adding a day of instruction before exams. 

One of the first changes is that Arrowhead is moving to block scheduling which means students will have 85 minutes classes in 4 periods throughout the day, they will have 4 classes one day and the other 4 classes the next day. 

Sophomore Ella Lowe says, “I am not happy that Arrowhead is moving towards block scheduling, because I don’t think I can focus in a class for 85 minutes long, but I will do my best with the change.” 

Another change is that passing periods will now become eight minutes long, instead of four minutes as they have been for previous years. 

Breaks for students for the 2024-2025 school year will also be longer. For Thanksgiving break, students will have the full week off instead of going to school for two days and then having three days off. 

Principal Adam Kurth wants to make this change because after looking at the data of how much learning went on during those two days of school, it was low. 

Kurth says, “When we looked at the data from having kids come into school for those two days before break, instruction was very low over the course of those two days, so we decided to add in the full week off for students, so travel and spending time with family is easier.” 

For Christmas break, students will still have a week off, but they also added three more days to it, so a total of eight days off of school. 

Another change coming to Arrowhead is that instead of having a day off and then exams starting the next day, students will still have that Monday off but then Tuesday, they will have a full day of instruction, and then starting Wednesday will be the three days of exams, and adding that Monday after exams as a day off as well.