The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

What Students are Reading

The Arrowhead school libraries hold roughly 25,000 books according to the Arrowhead school website. Both the South campus library and the North campus library are open before school at 6:45 a.m. Students can check out books for up to four weeks, however books can be renewed.

“I typically read a couple days out of the week. I’m currently reading The Boy and the Lake. For Modern Lit I read Little Fires Everywhere and a Good and Happy Child (I liked both of those) and then I read Station Eleven and I didn’t like it as much because it was kind of hard to follow,” says junior Nicole Rivard. 

Little Fires Everywhere is a novel by Celeste Ng published in 2017. 

According to Ng’s website, Little Fires Everywhere was “named a best book of the year by over 25 publications, the winner of the Ohioana Award and the Goodreads Readers Choice Award 2017 in Fiction, and has spent over a year on the New York Times bestseller list.”

Little Fires Everywhere, A Good and Happy Child, and Station Eleven can all be checked out at the Arrowhead library. 

According to the Goodreads website, “[Goodreads] is a place where you can see what your friends are reading and vice versa. You can create “bookshelves” to organize what you’ve read (or want to read). You can comment on each other’s reviews. You can find your next favorite book.”

Goodreads holds Reader’s Choice awards every year. The 2023 fiction winner is Yellowface by R. F. Kuang. Fifteen choice awards were given this year. Each award was given to a book from a different genre. 

Yellowface can be found at the Arrowhead library. 

“I’m not currently reading anything, but I like dystopian and realistic fiction books and I don’t like historical, fantasy, or nonfiction books,” says senior Molly Gibbons. 

According to Reedsy.com, there are about 50 genres of books. 

“My favorite genres are sci-fi and magical realism and my least favorite is romance. Right now I’m reading It by Stephen King,” says book club student leader Alaina Kwiatkowski. 

Arrowhead has a student book club that meets once a month. According to the Arrowhead book club Instagram account, the club is reading Looking for Alaska by John Green and will meet on January 23rd, 2024 to discuss it. 

“I don’t like to read, but I did recently read Red Queen and thought it was intriguing because it was similar to a show I like called Reign,” says senior Jordyn Hazelwood. 

Red Queen was published in 2015 and is able to be checked out at the Arrowhead library. 

“I’m currently reading Six of Crows but I haven’t picked it up in a while because I’m kind of in a reading slump right now,” says senior Emma Danes. 

Six of Crows is a 2015 young adult fantasy novel by Leigh Bardugo and is available at the Arrowhead library. 

“I think attention spans have gotten shorter over the years, especially with Tik Tok and other social media, so I don’t read as much as I want,” says Danes.