Students Share Thoughts on not Having a White Christmas This Year

The weather this year has been warmer than past years which results in the 2023 Christmas having no snow. According to Weather.gov, past years have averaged out to 20°F, while this December is averaging at 33°F. 

Christmas is the 25th of December and the weather forecast is calling for rain instead of snow this year. 

In past years, there has been snow in many places in Wisconsin on Christmas Day. 

Snow leads to activities like making snowmen, sledding, and ice skating, says senior Rachel Kleinhans. 

The weather forecast as of Tuesday, December 19th, 2023, calls for Christmas Day to have a low of 36 and a high of 47 degrees fahrenheit with a 60% chance of rain. Not only might this be a snowless Christmas, but it might also be a warmer Christmas than in the past. 

According to weather.gov, in 2022, the temperature on Christmas Day was a high of 11 and a low of -2 degrees fahrenheit with 12” of snow on the ground. Christmas Day 2021 had a high of 32 and a low of -5 degrees fahrenheit. 

Senior Grace Hamilton said, “I grew up with having a white Christmas so it’s sad that it is going to rain.” 

Wisconsin Christmases are known as cold, snowy, and icy. It is something that people are used to, says Hamilton. 

According to an article on, Travel Wisconsin there are activities to do in the snow. Snow tubing, ice castle building, and going on snow trains are activities to do outside over the holiday break. 

Arrowhead students and staff get out of school December 22, 2023 and return January 2nd 2024. 

However, sophomore Lucy Santhram says, “Even though there won’t be snow there are things my family and I do inside.” 

Article Good Housekeeping states many activities that are festive for the holidays. Some examples are making Christmas wreaths, karaoke with the family, and baking Christmas cookies. 

Senior Ellie Bognar said, “I could do without [snow].”