Arrowhead Girls Hockey Looks to Beat Former State Champions

On Tuesday, December 19th, Arrowhead Varsity Girls Hockey will face the Bay Area Ice Bears, the 2022 State Champions. The game will be at the Mullett Ice Center at 7 p.m. 

Last year, the Warhawks lost 3-9 only putting up points in the first and second periods, while letting the Ice Bears add two more points to their score. 

In the loss, according to Wisconsin Prep Hockey, the three goals were scored by Junior Quinn Sondrol (1) and Junior Kelcey Gilbertson (2). The goalie for the Warhawks was Bri Chimel, who in total defended the goal on 39 shots from the Ice Bears. 

Sophomore Bella Hamel says, “I think we can definitely beat them if we come together and work as a team, everyone has been preparing for these upcoming games we know they will be good teams and we will be ready to go full speed ahead and knock out opponents 

The Arrowhead Girls Hockey team consists of a co-op between Arrowhead, Hamilton, Oconomowoc, Waterford, and Kettle Moraine. In total the Warhawk girls dominate the team, with 14 out of 20 of the players attending Arrowhead. 

This season, returning team players include Naomi Little, Amelia Altmann, Veronica Pauken, Bella Hamel, Sophia McGinley, Kelcey Gilbertson, Andrea Harvey, Emmerson Berger, Sara Kopf, Bri Chmiel, and Kat Friel. Jackie Little is the Head Coach, assisted by Sarah Atkielski, Emma Tate, and Hannah Moths. 

Sophomore Lizzy Robinson said, “I am a little nervous because I have never played them yet being this is my first year on the high school team, but I think we can win because we have been working hard.” 

In the 2023 season, the Warhawks are 4-5 with an average GPG (Goals Per Game) of 4.11 and a PP % (Percentage of Power Plays Converted By Team) is 19.2. 

According to FloHockey, “a power play happens when one or two players from a team commit an infraction or a penalty. The player who has been penalized will be obliged to spend time out of the ice rink. The penalized player, or players, are sent to the penalty box. Moreover, the team that incurred the penalty is not allowed to call in a substitute. Instead, they are to play out the penalized time short-handed, giving the opposing team the advantage in numbers, or a power play.”

Senior Alexa Jarvis says, “I am excited to play against my teammates but I am nervous because I knows the skill and potential they have. But we can do this, we have been working hard and preparing well.” 

Jarvis also plays for Team Wisconsin Girls Hockey, whom some of the Ice Bears also play for, Julianne Bradford and Emily Bill.

Junior Sofie McGinley is looking forward to the good competition. “I think we could pull out the dub,” she says. 

So far this year, the Ice Bears led by Head Coach Joe Gerarden and assisted by Erica Folker and Chris Scheer are 4-2. The Ice Bears still have two games to play against Gentry Academy on Friday, December 15th and against Blake on Saturday, December 16th before they face the Warhawks Tuesday Night. 

Senior Amelia Altmann says, “I am excited and I think if our team shows up we should win. This week have been training for the upcoming games with extremely intense practices to get ready.”: