Varsity Winter Sports Kickoff

This month, winter sports at Arrowhead Union High School have kicked off for Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Hockey, and Gymnastics, Wrestling, and Swim & Dive. 

The first day of the Arrowhead Girls Gymnastics was Monday, November 6th. The program is composed of a Varsity and Junior Varsity team, which compete in four events. The high school gymnastics events include: vault, uneven bars, balance beam, and floor exercise. Each athlete has the choice to compete in the All-Around or be an event specialist. Head Coach this year is Bob Pulkowski assisted by Billie Ollman

Arrowhead Boys and Girls Ice Hockey both began on Monday, November 6th. The Girls Head Coach is Jackie Little and the Boys Head Coach is Raja Aylsworth. Most recently the Girls were victorious over Brookfield, 7-1 and the Boys took down St Mary Springs in overtime, 8-7. 

Senior Forward Naomi Little, niece of the head coach says, “I think we’re doing good so far, we have a good team this year with a lot of great talent. We have worked really well together as a team and have a great dynamic going and I am looking forward to the rest of the season.”

Girls Basketball kicked off on Monday, November 6th. After four games, the Girl’s team has remained undefeated, the most notable win being against the #1 seeded Neenah 69-68 on Tuesday, December 5th.

According to WISports.com, Natalie Kussow led the team with 30 points, including the game winning shot. In total, the team had 24 rebounds and 13 assists. 

Senior Erica Bub says, “[The season] started amazing for the team. From the bench cheers to the underclassmen producing on the floor, we have been highly successful. I would say what’s even greater is the trust and love we have created off the floor. It is for sure my favorite season I have been a part of.”

Boys Basketball began on Monday, November 13th. The first game of the season was on Friday, December 1st against Wisconsin Lutheran and fell 82-67. The next day, on December 2nd, the Warhawks were victorious against Bay Port 88-61. 

According to WISports.com, the Arrowhead Boys Basketball team has a field goal percentage of .534, greater than their opponents combined .444.  pp   we guys

The Arrowhead Boys and Girls Wrestling season began on Monday, November 13th with varsity, junior varsity, and freshman level competitions. The program is part of the Classic 8 conference and has claimed numerous individual and team conference titles. In total, the Warhawk wrestlers have won state titles and claimed medals, have 31 state finalists, and 21 individual state champions. The next tournament is on December 8th in Eau Claire followed up by the Indiana Wrestling Competition beginning on Friday, December 15th.   

On Thursday, December 7th the Warhawks took on Catholic Memorial and won with a total of 72 point to 6 points, 

Senior Wyatt DuChateau says, “The season has been right on track for everyone on the team. Right now we are 7-0 as a team and all of our varsity guys are looking to have a really solid year, so I have high expectations for us. Personally I’ve felt good getting back to competition for the first time since last year. Overall I’m excited to see how the season goes for me and especially our team because I feel like we have a lot of high level potential on this team.”

Boys Swim and Dive began on Monday, November 13th. The head coaches this year are Norma Balogh and Rosie Balogh assisted by Nathan Sawall. The next Boys meet is on Thursday, December 14th at the Arrowhead North Campus Pool at 6:00 p.m against Catholic Memorial and Waukesha South. 

This year, the Arrowhead Boys and Girls Alpine Skiing has two team options: a competitive Conference Race Team and a non-competitive Development Team. The organizational meeting was Wednesday, November 15th at 6:30 p.m. This year the head coach is Todd Reineking. 

Senior Katie Curry says, “I’m so excited to meet all of the new skiers. We are excited to hopefully bring home another state championship and hope to be a leader my senior season and role model for the new skiers.”