2023 Preview of Arrowhead Boys Varsity Basketball

On Tuesday, October 31st the Boys Basketball season officially kicked off with an organizational meeting for all boys interested in participating in the 2023-24 season. 

Since Monday, September 11th, Boys Basketball Open Gyms have been held weekly after school in preparation for the season. 

From Monday, November 13 to Tuesday, November 14, Boys Basketball tryouts were held for Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Freshman teams.

All teams started practices on Wednesday, November 15th. On Saturday, November 18th, the Varsity and Junior Varsity teams had scrimmages at Brookfield Central High School. 

This year the coaches for Varsity are Craig Haase (Head Coach), Jim LaVoi (Varsity Assistant), John Hoch (Varsity Assistant), and Dave Conway (Varsity Assistant). 

Junior Varsity is coached by Mark Leoni. Freshman teams are coached by Doug Wrecke and Craig Klink. 

The season will officially kick off with a Varsity game on Friday, December 1st versus Wisconsin Lutheran, at Wisconsin Lutheran at 8 p.m.

According to MaxPreps, last season the Arrowhead Boys Basketball Varsity team had a record of 26-3 overall with a 0.90 win percentage and went 16-1 in the Classic 8 Conference, earning them 1st place. 

Senior Andy Cochrane says, “I’m looking forward to seeing how the team plays together and how we improve over the season.”

Returning members from last year’s Varsity team include: Bennett Basich, Andy Cochrane, Jay Haase, Jace Gilbert, and Sam Leoni. 

Senior Bennett Basich says, “I feel I’ve continued to work on my skill set and strength. I’ve also worked to build relationships with the underclassmen to help improve the team.”

According to WisSports, last season the Arrowhead Boys Varsity team outscored their opponents 2313-1766 and had 482 more rebounds throughout the season.

Senior Jay Haase says, “Since last year I think I’ve improved individually on shooting, getting stronger, and being a better defender [and] overall leader. As a team we’ve gotten better defensively and sharing the ball better on offense.”

During the 2023 State Boys Basketball tournament, Arrowhead beat #3 Neenah in the Semifinals 73-61. In the State Finals, Arrowhead fell to #1 De Pere 69-49. 

Basich says, “Challenges this year will be going out and repeating what we did last year. Winning conference and getting back to state are big goals that are achievable because of the talent we have, but teams will be gunning for us all season long.”