Students Report Increased Stress Levels the Week Before Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving 2023 is on the 23rd of November. Students and staff get off of school from Wednesday the 20th until Monday, the 27th. 

Senior Chloe Susitti says, this break brings stress for students because this is the time when tests and quizzes pile up. 

There are assessments in many classes. Mark Leoni’s Pre-Calc class has a quiz on Tuesday the 21st. In Chad Tchanz’s Physics class, there will be a test on the 22nd. In Chris Skaors’s American Problems class, there will be a test on Tuesday the 21st.

“It just becomes a lot the week before we get off,” said sophomore Sara Kleinhans. 

Kleinhans says she has some sort of assessment in all of her classes except gym. She says this means she has six assignments and big grades to worry about. 

“Once we are done with all the assessments, we normally don’t have any homework over the break,” said senior Grace Hamilton.

Arrowhead seniors, Susitti and Lindsey Washburn say, stress levels students have tend to increase the week before there is a long break.  

It’s because of the amount of work and studying that kids feel that they are obligated to do, says Washburn. 

Senior Rachel Kleinhands said, “I just wish [teachers] would include more review days in classes.”

After this break, students may start to think about preparing and reviewing for final exams. This semester, final exams are January 15th through January 17th, which is in 56 days. 

Hamilton said, “There are too many assignments that teachers give us the week before break, they should just give us a review guide to help us study.” 

The last day before the Arrowhead Winter Break is Friday the 22nd of December, then students return to school Tuesday, January 2nd.