The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

National Sesame Street Day—What AHS Students Remember

November tenth is National Sesame Street Day. Sesame Street is the most widely viewed kids show in the world according to The New Yorker. Though initially meant to simply be fun and educational, the show has evolved into an international cultural show. 

According to The New Yorker, Sesame Street was first thought of in talks between the television producer Joan Ganz Cooney and Lloyd Morrisett, the vice president of the Carnegie Foundation. During these conversations, Cooney spoke about her desire to be able to capture and keep children’s attention while still having positive and social values. 

Emily Lauber, an Arrowhead High School junior says, Sesame Street was not her favorite but she would still watch it occasionally.

Following a period of creative development, Sesame Street began to take shape. On November 10, 1969, it was released to the public. 

Sesame Street recently moved networks; it moved from PBS to HBO in 2015 to ensure continued production. 

With nearly 5,000 episodes produced, students can recall mornings and afternoons spent with Bert and Ernie, Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch and the whole family of muppets. 

Jessica Thompson, an Arrowhead High School special education teacher says, “I like to follow Cookie Monster on Facebook. They always make me laugh and he occasionally posts about his friends on Sesame Street!”