Girls Tennis Team Wins Team State

The girls tennis team went to WIAA state at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison hosted on October 12th, 2023. The girls ended up winning state.

Lily Schulz plays doubles with her partner, Jacquelyn Cox. They scored 5 points to win

Junior Alexander Lovern said, “I love playing with friends, it was lots of fun.”

Lovern says as the season grew, so did her friendships with the girls on her team. 

Lovern said, “communications and honesty worked well with the team getting to state.”

According to Junior Lily Schulz, the reasons why they made it to state was the dedication, determination, and communication that each player had with each other and their coach.

Varsity tennis is coached by Cindy Ziegler-Fritz.

“Communication grew as each day in practice,” said Schulz.

As the Arrowhead tennis team had practices every weekday after school 3-5pm, their abilities to communicate grew and changed throughout the year, said Schulz.

“With where they went on the court to what they felt was good to be said before playing on the court. All that mattered,” said Schulz.  

Schulz says this sport can lead to many mental and physical battles that the team had to overcome over the season. One physical battle was simply being tried.

Schulz said, “It is hard mentally at times to keep playing because my mind is saying I’m tired but also saying I need to win.” 

According to Schulz, the girls tennis team ended up winning state shows the determination and growth they had throughout the season. 

“It was fun to watch my teammate keep on getting better each day in practice. It really showed how determined and ready they were to play each match,” said Lovern. 

“My favorite part was definitely the pasta parties we had and the team bonding activities, it made the season very enjoyable,” said Schulz.