Student Senate Hosts Giving Tree

Arrowhead’s Student Senate hosts an annual Giving Tree which is set up to give back to those who cannot afford or purchase Christmas gifts. The trees are in the South Campus library and the North Campus commons. 

Ava Ramos, a senior, said, “No I didn’t do the giving tree last year but I wanted to. I can’t remember why I didn’t. I think I was going to keep going back and then I just ended up not doing it.”

Some examples of gifts on the tags are legos, a Fleet Farm gift card, boys athletic leggings, Blu-rays or DVDs for family, basketball shoes, 2K23 NBA for playstation 4, Nike shoes, pressure washer, and Under Armour Men’s Dri-Fit T-shirt. 

According to the Arrowhead Website, the Giving Tree this year goes from November 17th through December eighth. To participate in the Giving Tree, a student can take a tag from the tree, buy the gift that was written on it and return it to the front office unwrapped. It benefits families that cannot afford or purchase Christmas gifts themselves.

“I’ve donated money for the donuts through social studies, and I’ll probably be giving away some coats and hats that my sister doesn’t use anymore to stores that will take them,” Brooklyn Demers, a senior said.

The Giving Tree is run by the Student Senate. The Student Senate serves as the student government. It provides students with opportunities to exercise leadership skills, express ideas, get involved with the community, and have fun with friends. Student senate is composed of the executive board (president treasurer, secretary etc) and student senators. Any student can become a senator given they complete the application process and regularly attend monthly meetings and various events. The Senate organizes Homecoming activities, annual blood drives, food drives, and prom.

Socks, vacuums, girls socks, girls sweats, boys sweats, gift cards, coats, hats, and other essentials are things that can be donated to the Giving Tree according to Ramos and Demers.

“I’ve donated money for the donuts through social studies, and I’ll probably be giving away some coats and hats that my sister doesn’t use anymore,” Demers said.