Homecoming Stands Firm: No Homecoming Court

AHS Student Clair Babler and Harry Smith with their “homecoming king and queen award”

This year’s 2017 Arrowhead High School homecoming is on Saturday, October 7 at Arrowhead High School at 7pm. Over the years, Arrowhead has done away with a homecoming court.

AHS senior, Erin Schaubel said, “I am really upset that they had to take away homecoming court because I think it’s always interesting to see who gets elected.”

Schaubel says she doesn’t think that people get too upset when they don’t win, because in the end all that the homecoming king and queen get is a crown and a picture in the yearbook.

“We might as well just have a king and queen for homecoming, because it is usually the seniors that get elected and by this point hopefully the students are mature enough to not make a big deal out of it and just accept who wins, ” said Schaubel.

Although Schaubel has never been a part of a homecoming where there is a homecoming king and queen, she hopes for her final year of high school there might be a change.

Schaubel says, “Even though I have never been to a homecoming before where people have been nominated king and queen, maybe this year will change. Hopefully throughout the years the upperclassmen could have shown the school that they were mature enough to bring it back. Last year for prom they did it so maybe this year for homecoming they will as well.”

Arrowhead Social Studies Teacher and Student Senate Advisor, Tammy Varsos, said, “I am not exactly sure on why the school stopped doing homecoming court only because I have only been teaching for five years and they stopped it before I was involved in it.”

Senior AHS student Aly Ells on the other hand, has a different perspective.

“Arrowhead not having a homecoming court does not bother me at all. Since I have been going to Arrowhead for the past three years we haven’t had one and I don’t see a point in starting it up now,” Ells said.

Ells said that the drama that goes along with it is unnecessary and overall pointless.

“In complete honesty, having a homecoming king and queen can cause hurt feelings over something that is not even worth it. Everyone wants to be the king or queen but since there are only two spots there isn’t much of a chance for anyone,” Ells said.