JSA: a Club to Share Your Opinions

JSA: a Club to Share Your Opinions

Junior Statesmen of America is a club at Arrowhead High School that promotes free thinking, political debate, public speaking, and education about current events. A typical meeting involves one main pro speaker and one main con speaker that are designated prior to the meeting. The club meetings usually take place twice a month on Wednesdays.

Those involved in the club are aware of the topic before the debate and are usually give information about it. Anyone is then welcome to give a subsequent pro or con speech or ask questions – there is always an opportunity to be involved.

“After a few rounds of subsequent speeches, everyone votes either pro, con, or can sustain from voting. Sometimes the club might decide to do a “thought-talk,” which is a little bit less structured and anyone can stand up and share the thoughts they have on the topic of discussion.” says Erika Lund, a senior involved in JSA.

Lund, says, “I’ve always had an interest in politics and speaking up for what I believe in. Freshman year I heard about the club and decided to check it out. I’m so glad I did because it has been my favorite school organization to communicate.”

JSA members also go on trips outside the school to explore the world of debate. Members go to Madison for a weekend to debate and speak in the Capitol building. Members are also given the opportunity to go on a week trip to Washington, D.C., to compete with students nationwide and also delve into the extremely historic places within the city.

Lund says, “I absolutely loved the D.C. trip. Something that many people might not know is that JSA goes so far beyond Arrowhead, you get the chance to meet students nationwide who share the same interests as you. It opens so many doors for bright, willing, young minds.”

Julia Pjevach, a senior in JSA, says, “The Madison trip with JSA was super fun and interesting. I met people from all over the Midwestern region and was able to hear a lot of new views on various topics. It really helped open my mind.”

JSA can also be a tool to become a better public speaker. Speaking up in the meetings can really help students learn to speak up and be heard.

Lund says, “JSA has definitely helped me become a better speaker. I remember my freshman Fall State conference in Madison and even to ask a speaker a question I would get sweaty palms and shake like crazy! However by my junior year I’m very proud to say I won a best speaker gavel and even passed a bill through our mock congress in Washington D.C.”

Social Studies teachers Mr. Skaros and Mr. Tower are the supervisors of the club but ultimately the club is run by students. In order to join this club – contact Mr. Tower and he can give more information.

Pjevach says, “I love the flexibility of this club. We chose our topics, people are given the choice if they want to speak, we vote for our leaders in the club, we chose the type of discussion we want to have…The opportunities and possibilities are endless in JSA. I highly recommend joining this club.”